Some common symptoms of sciatica are:
- Pain affecting only one side of the body
- Pain that ranges from mild to severe
- Pain that ranges from sharp and burning to similar to an electric shock
- Discomfort felt anywhere along the nerve pathway
- Pain or discomfort that is worse when sitting for long periods of time or coughing and sneezing
- Numbness or tingling in the affected foot or leg
The professionals at South County Spine Care Center see patients who experience a wide variety of pain, including sciatica. Our physicians can talk to you about sciatica pain treatment that will help you get back to living a normal life without frequent discomfort. Contact our office today for a consultation.
What causes sciatica pain?
Before you receive sciatica pain treatment at our Orange County center, it is helpful to know just what causes the condition.
In general, sciatica is caused by irritation to the root of your lower spine. Pregnancy and conditions such as spondylolisthesis (where one vertebra slips forward), degenerative disc disease (the wear and tear and weakening of your spinal discs), and spinal stenosis (the narrowing of the spinal canal) can all contribute to sciatica pain. The pain can become worse if you sleep on a surface that doesn’t provide your back with adequate support or if you wear high heels. Being overweight can also aggravate the condition.
When you come to South County Spine Care Center with sciatica pain, one of our medical professionals can help you determine the root cause of your pain in order to effectively treat it and prevent it from returning later.